Sunday, June 15, 2008

Black Fatherhood

Hell I had a hard time just coming up with a title for my feelings on this matter, so simplicity is best right now. I am a man who enjoys the dramatic so forgive me for my diversion from my normal pace. It is currently Sunday, June 15, 2008-8:56 Am. My really sexy wife is asleep, as are two of my four children. They are going to awaken soon and begin a loving ritual of praising me and giving me accolades for being a good father. My oldest child called me last night apologizing for not sending off my gift in time, it is alright of course, she is a very busy young woman. As my children and wife prepare for this moment in history where I am honored. I wonder if I am worthy of such? Am I doing something extraordinary or is it something else? I feel it is more so that I am doing the ordinary or rather what should be ordinary under extraordinary circumstances.

As an historian specializing in African History, I will not belabor you with the historical foundations of our enslavement nor will I entrench you in our Pre-American journey from the Nile Valley in East Africa to West Africa and then into slavery. I will say that we as Black Men have not always been this. We have not always thought of ourselves as nor have been percieved as, pimps, players, thugs, gangsters, drug peddlers, etc., ad nauseum. No we have been and many of us are more than this. What is percieved of us unfortunately as Black Men is perpetuated by us, we continue to buy into the enemies' game. Simplified, if you tell a child long enough they are stupid, they may react in one of two ways, acceptance or abject rejection. I am one of those Black Men who not only reject the labels and limitations but I rebel against them and teach others to do so.

As a Black Man I take Black Fatherhood seriously, again taken into account the extraordinary circumstances of our enslavement and subsequent mistreatment by government mandated policies and legislation. So this is a set of extraordinary circumstance (have I said that enough?), our history is steeped in this madness, but relatively it is a short period of time. There was a time when we worshipped MAAT (Truth, Justice, Balance, Order, Reciprocity, Righteousness), MAAT is a feminine concept. In effect and as history proves we as Black Men were brave enough to worship the African Feminine as a divine being, a Goddess. So this silliness of half naked and in some cases naked women stripping and grinding on poles is a new thing! We must return to our former selves our real selves our beautiful Black Selves!

As a Black Man I must do what I can to return us back to ordinary circumstances, this will be an extraordinary feat. In fact it feels like I am a superhero sometimes, but I am not these are strange times, strange events, they are different then our most ancient Black Male selves. This is the Black Manhood we must return to the warrior, the shaman, the priest, the poet, the fearless, the one who will not accept just anything. The mantle of Black Fatherhood I have accepted will not compromise the salvation of his children, his grandchild, his woman. I take this Black Fatherhood thing seriously, I will motivate, challenge, teach, build with, destroy with and if neccesary kill other Black Men for the salvation of our people. On the latter part of that last statement trust when I say the same goes for all other men and folks who seek the destruction of our people. This is the essence of Black Fatherhood for me, I am a Shaman, Priest, Warrior, Teacher, Student, Worshipper amongst other things for my Black Wife/Queen/GODDESS. I am a Preacher (say a-man), a Teacher, A Father, A Priest, A Warrior, and even at times Student to my Black Children. I teach my children of their ancestral legacy, of their glorious African historical past and the promise of a dazzling African future!

As a Black Father, A Black Man, Black Preacher, Black Teacher, Black Poet, Black Historian, Black Shaman, Black Warrior, I say to other Black Men, Stand the F--k up! The time done been past gone, (ebonics, if you didn't know). The time for war is now, the time for preaching a Black Truth, to a Black People is now, it done been here and gone. We are in a new day, for those of you who believe in Barack Obama, he is standing for what he believes in and has a Black Woman by his side. The call is out, I have thrown the machete to your feet, now is the time for Black Men, Black Fathers to be the sons of Africa as they are supposed to be! It is time for extraordinary men who defy extraordinary circumstances

http://blackmenrising.wordpress.com/
http://majadi.wordpress.com/

No comments: