Monday, June 16, 2008

Hello to you too...

I am friendly.

Perhaps sometimes too friendly. For instance, today I went to the library to look for a fiction book. I am constantly smiling, constantly taking in what I think is the beauty in nature, in people. Of course, the 'fro was in full effect when I left the house. And as I was entering the library, a white woman and her child were leaving. Instinctively, I smiled at the little boy. I did not expect him to shrink away from me in the way that he did. But when his mother pulled him aside, I realized that I should never expect anything more.

Firstly, I'm about five feet negative 12 inches tall. Secondly, I was smiling! If that's not nonthreatening then nothing is. Perhaps I should start carrying Lucky Charms in a fucking gold pail.

Or perhaps I should embrace the fact that I am threatening.

No comments: